Thursday, July 5, 2007

Our Pop Culture


This morning I changed my home page when I logged onto the Internet. For the longest time it simply defaulted to the Comcast website. I have tired of seeing the headlines concerning Brittany, Christina, Justin and the other "entertainers" who seem to get some twisted pleasure out of their dysfunctional behaviors.

Statistics show that the divorce rates continue to rise and that at any given time 25% of our children are raised in single-parent homes and that 50% of children in the U.S. will be raised by a single parent at some point in their lives.

I know there are lots of reason for all the relationship problems we face in our country, but one of them is the message we constantly recieve in the media. Our music, movies, television and even commercials send the message that relationships are disposable and that pleasure is more important that happiness.

It has always irritated me when we make excuses for bad behavior. It would be easy to blame or modern culture, how we were raised, or other external influences for our behavior; but the bottom line is that I am responsible for my actions and behaviors. God has given me his word to instruct me, Christian friends to support me, and the Holy Spirit to guide me.

While I am often disgusted by the moral behavior of many who live in the spotlight, I also feel for them. I don't believe they are truly happy and realize that God wants us to pray for all his children. So, as strange as it seems, when you are praying for friends who struggling and family members who are sick, try saying a prayer for the "cultural leaders" in our society that God may touch their hearts and bring them to an understanding of His will.

No comments: