Wednesday, February 13, 2008

26 Hour Day

Sometimes I feel as though I could definitely use a 26 hour day - that or live off of energy drinks for 48 to 72 hours. I guess I should feel blessed that there are so many things in this world that I want to accomplish, if only the things I have to do didin't interfere with the things I want to do.

Time management experts have all kinds of answers for increasing productivity and getting the most out of your day. Stephen Covey reminds us of how the urgent gets in the way of the important; other writers and consultants suggest setting priorities and working smarter, not harder. Here is my own list of guidelines based upon the Life of Christ.

1. Know your mission or objective. From a very early age Jesus knew that he must be about his Father's business. (Luke 2:49) In teaching his disciples he "must go to Jerusalem, and suffer many things... be killed and raised again the third day" (Matthew 16:21).

2. Block out time to spend with the Father. Jesus often would escape the multitudes to spend time in prayer. As he approached the final week of his life, his conversations with the Father become more frequent. Our Lord understood the importance of keeping connected to God when the world felt as though it was spinning out of control.

3. Don't let others set your agenda for you. Jesus did not rush to Bethany when Lazarus died (John 11), and as he set out on his journey to Jerusalem, he didn't allow Peter to hinder his trek towards the cross (Matthew 16:23).

When we know our purpose or objective in life and we spend time with the Father sharing our work and mission, then it becomes easier to keep life in the proper perspective. Suddenly all the little distractions seem less important when we know that we are carrying out our Father's purpose.

Will this help me better balance all the things going on in my life - maybe not, but it should help me stay focused on the things that really matter.

1 comment:

Dale's Spot said...

If we figured out the 26 hour day we'd just want 28 :). God gives us enough of everything to do what we are responsible over. So, even though I have to tell myself this often, I get done each day what God wanted me to - that is - if I am true to Him. Excellent writing Trent...