Monday, September 24, 2007

Take me Higher


There are certain people in your life who lift you up and make your life richer and fuller. As I look back over 48 years I realize I have been blessed with more than a few of those friends. I have childhood friends I keep in touch with, my college roomate and I get together a few times a year even though he lives in Canada, and I still have close friendships in all the churches I have been priviledged to serve.

This past week has reminded me of the blessings of friendship. There is a fairly new trend on the internet known as social networking. It consists of websites like myspace and facebook. They are marketed as a way to stay connected and they can serve a good purpose, but I think they are only effective when you have built a personal relationship with someone. Every once in a while I get a "friend request" from someone I don't know. That seems strange to me. "You may be an ax murder, but I want you to be my friend."

Maybe I am just old fashion, but I want to see my friends face to face. I enjoy sitting and talking over a cup of coffee. I want to see the gleam in their eye, hear the subtle intonations of their voice as we share our thoughts and ideas.

There are a few people who raise my spirits with an email. I am thankful that I can stay connected with my son who is in Europe, friends across the state, but even those relationships were built through personal interaction.

Now for the inconsistency of this blog. Here I am sharing my thoughts and feelings with my friends through this electronic medium called the internet. If somehow my words have touched you and we are not yet friends - well that just shows what an intelligent person you are. :-)

No comments: