Monday, December 10, 2007

God, help me to remember

Are you a list maker? You know, one of those people who writes everything down so you won't forget. I keep a running list on my fridge of the groceries I need to buy, a calendar on my computer to help me remember appointments and sometimes I even carry a small tape recorder in my car so I won't forget that brilliant idea that came to me while driving down the interstate.

God recognized that man needs help remembering. He instituted the feast of the Passover to remind his people of their deliverance from bondage and captivity and He had them set up 12 stones at Gilgal as they crossed over into Caanan. In the New Testament Jesus provided us the Lord's Supper as a memorial of his death, burial and resurrection, but even with all of this sometimes we still forget.

Sunday morning as I sat in worship I was reminded again concerning the grace of giving. In this simple act God has called us to be like Him "every good and perfect gift comes down from the father of lights". I have heard dozens of lessons on giving and even taught a few in my day, but it struck me just how quickly we forget.

Throughout this day I have thought and prayed, "God, help me to remember." I wasn't just referring to the grace of giving, but to the importance of all the important things that are often neglected in our christian walk. God, help me to remember . . .

To pray
To give
To treat others with love and respect
To surrender my selfish pride
To humble myself in service
To cast off every sin and the burdens that weigh me down

and the list goes on and on. There is so much to remember and so often I forget.

"Father, as I turn this new day over to you help me to remember and forgive me when I forget. Allow me to cast my cares upon you and to guard my heart from sin. Help me to make my heart a dwelling place for your Spirit and my life a spiritual worship unto you. So often I have forgotten, but for today God, help me to remember."


No comments: