Saturday, November 10, 2007

My yoke is easy...

Sometimes we simply need a point of reference to remind us of how good God is. There have been days when I indulged in my own pity party, or complained because my Father was a little slow in bestowing His blessings. I marvel at how God continues to bless me through my murmuring and complaining. He simply waits for teachable moments to reveal himself to me.

This week has been a struggle at times. I have found myself impatient with others and with God. I want my prayers answered almost immediately and think how sweet life would be if all the obstacles were cleared from my path. I know that is not a very practical consideration, but it is my blog - so I am allowed to dream.

I know that God works on us in during our times of need and dependence. He challenges us with trails that we can only overcome with His help. He rebukes the son that He loves (Hebrews 12:6)! Sometimes I simply wish he didn't love me so much (no, not really).

So what about this point of clarity? How do we come to accept the challenges and heartaches that creep into our lives? I can only offer two simple strategies that work for me.

1. Claim the promises of God. Today I claim the words that Jesus spoke, "Come to me all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart and you will find rest for your souls. My yoke is easy and my burden is light" (Matthew 11:28-30)

2. Stop and take a good hard look at the world. I don't ever want to be like the Pharisee in Luke 18:11, "I thank you that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican." That kind of self-righteousness smacks in the face of God's desire for us. However, when I look around and see the tragedy in the world; the starvation in Africa, the earthquakes in Peru, or the plight of our inner cities I realize how truly blessed I am.

No, life isn't always easy and sometimes our knees buckle under the burdens and weight we carry. Those are challenging times, but if we are faithful, they can also be extremely liberating. It may be in those dark days, straining under the weight and sin that we better understand a couple of other promises God has given us:

"Cast your cares on him: for he cares for you" (I Peter 5:7).

"Lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily besets us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us" (Hebrews 12:1)

I don't know about you, but I am tired of collapsing under the burdens and weight of this life. I am ready to throw off the yoke of despair and heartache. I am ready to cast my cares on my Lord and Savior. I am tired of standing on the sidelines watching - I am ready to run the race.

No comments: